Melissa Chan of Al-Jazeera reports on-site at the Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industry, which is putting together San Francisco’s Bay Bridge.
A few links to start off your day:
- San Francisco Bay’s new earthquake-proof suspension bridge is being constructed right here in Shanghai, China and will be making a 22-day journey across the Pacific Ocean soon. It’s the world’s longest single-tower, self- anchored suspension bridge, stretching 624 meters.
- Yao Ming’s expected retirement is likely to hurt the development of NBA in China.
- Gen. Chen Bingde of the People’s Liberation Army has downplayed China’s military capabilities while suggesting the US could improve the livelihood of the American people by reducing its defense budget.
- China steps up its plans to explore the Moon, Mars and Venus.
- Interesting: Scientists in Hunan Province have invented a “vertical growth” technology that will allow watermelons to grow in the air, instead of in the soil.
- Four bishops loyal to the Pope have been taken away by the police, and will presumably be forced to attend the ordination of a new bishop not approved by the Vatican. They are Liang Jiansen of Jiangmen, Liao Hongqing of Meizhou, Paul Su Yongda of Zhanjiang,and Bishop Joseph Junqi of Guangzhou.