Photo by Davide Martini.
A few links to start off your day:
- A team of investigative journalists at the China Economic Times known for its hard-hitting reports have been ordered to disband.
- John Kennedy of Global Voices Online has an excellent roundup of what independent candidates for local level People’s Congress elections around China are doing to shore up support for their bids.
- A former gymnastics world champion, Zhang Shangwu, found busking on the streets of Beijing to earn a living, has opened a bank account to accept donations from the public, but this has sparked a debate over whether the public should be expected to help people like him.
- Police in Xinjiang are said to have gunned down several rioters who attacked a police station yesterday and killed at least four people. The World Uyghur Congress has said though that the incident started when police fired on peaceful protesters.
- Iraq asks China for a reconstruction fund.