Photo by Kenneth Tan
A few links to start off your day:
- Leading Hong Kong democrat Alan Leong says China’s democratisation is going to come bottom-up not top-down and urged efforts to strengthen the mainland’s civil society.
- Bloomberg’s William Pesek says China’s $3 trillion of foreign currency reserves is suddenly looking like a big bad idea.
- The recent violence in Hotan, Xinjiang may be linked to anti-China forces just across the border in Pakistan.
- Romania gets its very first Chinatown, thanks to an EUR 150 million investment from 19 Chinese businessmen. The only problem is — it looks more like a warehouse than a real Chinatown to us.
- Air China launches Wuhan’s very first direct international air route to Tokyo.
- Yikes: A monkey in a zoo in Guizhou attacked an eight-month-old boy and ripped off one of his testicles. Zoo officials don’t seem very apologetic.
- Elsewhere in China, 3 suspects are being charged in Henan for kidnapping, killing and chopping up the body of a 9-year-old boy.