Photo by @sudobear on Instagram.
A few links to start off your day:
- Louisa Lim of NPR takes a look at paotui, the “running legs” or professional queuers who are paid to stand around.
- Zhang Jianjing, the editor-in-chief of the China Economic Times has been moved to another publication shortly after his investigative reporting team led by veteran journalist Wang Keqin was disbanded.
- Five people involved in producing and selling pork with clenbuterol have been given long sentences for “endangering public security”.
- China has denounced the Vatican for its “extremely unreasonable and rude” reaction to the ordination of several new bishops that have not received the blessing of the Pope.
- Taiwan’s Ministry of National Defence says two Chinese Sukhoi-27 fighters crossed the centerline in the Taiwan Strait on June 29.
- Two people were suspected to have been struck by lightning in Beijing Sunday evening when the heaviest rainfall in 13 years pounded the capital.