Clouds above Huashan Rd. & Guangyuan Rd. Photo by Timothy Vanhonacker.
A few links to start off your day:
- New York Times ran a profile of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao yesterday, painting him as a sensitive reformer frequently rebuffed for his liberal antics, an image many have often claimed is an elaborate good-cop bad-cop put on by the party.
- Speaking of ineffectual loose-lipped second-in-commands, US Vice President Joe Biden is coming to China! He’ll meet both Wen Jiabao and Hu Jintao on a tour of China, Mongolia, and Japan that many believe will address growing tensions over US-Taiwan arms sales. CDT has more.
- Caixin takes a closer look at Foxconn’s decisions to go robot.
- John Garnaut over at Sydney Morning Herald has written an excellent profile of China’s favorite “maverick-princeling politician”, Bo Xilai.
- Stocks in China plummeted on Monday in reaction to the S&P downgrading of the US economy last Friday. The Shanghai Composite Index saw its biggest one-day drop since November of last year, hitting a one-year low.
- China RealTime Report has a nice photo set of the swearing in of the new Tibetan Prime Minister, Lobsang Sangay. If you want to hear more about him, you should also check out his interview with the Asia Society from a few weeks ago.