Photo by Denny Brechner. Send your mobile photos to us via Instagram by using the tag #shanghaiist.
A few links to start off your day:
- Controversy over the commissioning of Hunan artist Lei Yixin to carve a 30ft-tall memorial to Martin Luther King unveiled yesterday at the National Mall in Washington.
- Hollywood producer Legendary Entertainment has entered a $220 million venture with Huayi Brothers Media Corp to produce one or two major films for worldwide audiences starting 2013.
- ChinaHush has a nice translation of an article that first appeared in the Southern Metropolis Daily on the first gay wedding in Shenzhen.
- Kobe Bryant won’t be playing in the China Basketball Assocation this season, but Shanxi Zhongyu still wants to sign him up “for strictly show-off purposes”.
- How the new Google deal can help Motorola’s business in China.
- The Guardian’s Tania Branigan on the rise of binge drinking in China.
- France’s Nicolas Sarkozy is set to meet President Hu Jintao next week.