Photo by @creativemadhatter on Instagram.
- Buddhist nun and AIDS activist Miaojue and a female companion tried to visit blind activist Chen Guangcheng yesterday, and ended up being robbed and beaten up by a bunch of thugs, and dumped in the wilderness. More info in Chinese here.
- A solar plant in Haining has been shut down by the government after a protest by local residents against the pollution.
- Zambians head to the polls tomorrow, and this election will be all about China. Here’s why.
- A dozen independent candidates hoping to stand for local elections in Beijing briefly detained by police today.
- The WSJ’s Ian Johnson writes about his days in Beijing as a student back in the 1980s.
- Russell Leigh Moses asks, “When Wen speaks, who is listening?”.
- Thanks to cloning, Zhu Jianqiang, the “strong-willed pig” that survived a harrowing ordeal during the Sichuan Earthquake is now a proud father of six despite having been castrated before the quake.
- Censored: a survey of luxury watches worn by Chinese government officials put online by an activist.
- China is pissed off at a US deal to upgrade Taiwan F-16s.