All the top stories from the last seven days:
- We dug up a ridiculous story about Hubei airport police taking pity on a penniless, stranded American and chipping in to buy him a plane ticket to Beijing.
- Animal rights activists scored a huge victory when they succeeded in convincing authorities to shut down the Zhejiang Jinhua Dog Meat Festival, through online campaigning on Weibo.
- We took a look at the census statistics of foreigners living in Shanghai, and were surprised to discover we’re living in a social circle about the size of Fargo, North Dakota.
- We caught a whiff of the likely winner of the “Worst School Lunch of the Year” award — stir-fried mooncakes with green peppers, chili peppers, and edible black fungus being served up in Fujian.
- “My dad is Li Gang!”‘s spiritual successor declared “My dad is the Mayor!” while wantonly smacking down children in Wenzhou.
- We snapped photos at the preview and grand opening of Shanghai’s newest Apple Store on East Nanjing Road, and also had a grand old time at the Black Rabbit Music Festival.
- We also compiled photo coverage of the huge gas fire on Wujiang Road, sex dungeons in Henan, nastiness inside a typical Chinese restaurant kitchen, a swill oil factory in Kunming, and a rogue philanthropist destroying his Mercedes for the sake of “going green.”