All the top stories from the last 7 days:
- Around 3pm last Tuesday, a signal failure led to a rear-end collision on Shanghai Metro Line 10 that left over 270 injured, 20 critically.
- The fallout of the Metro Line 10 crash resulted in many fingers being pointed, including at signal maker CASCO, who was also blamed for the Wenzhou high speed crash earlier this summer. Alternatively, you could believe the Metro authority who say a power failure was the cause.
- Beijing “welcomed” a tourist by mistaking him for a petitioner and subsequently abducting and beating him unconscious! The photo of the man passed out on the street was then photoshopped to cover up some of the abuse!
- A store called “Obama Fried Chicken,” whose mascot is Obama dressed as the colonel, made waves around the internet after being spotted by a Weibo user in Beijing.
- The Dalai Lama may give up his 600 year history of reincarnation and instead begin “emanating” after his death in order to prevent unfriendly forces from usurping his office!
- China took one step closer to a future space station with the successful launch of their Tiangong-1 space lab module. However, things were not all gung-ho-China patriotic, as CCTV’s background music of choice for the launch happened to be America the Beautiful. Whoops!
- We visited and snapped pics at TICT’s Design Art & Fashion Fair, reviewed the new eco-friendly restaurant Kush, and checked out Moganshan’s new naked Stables Private Reserve.
- We also brought you photos of Alain Delorme’s portraits of Shanghai’s acrobatic cyclists, a football hooligan riot between Shanghai and Hangzhou fans, a new internet trend turning China maps into manga, S&M shows at the Zhengzhou Sex Culture Festival, and the most shoddily constructed highway in China.