Photo by dbmboise.
A few links to start off your day:
- Yet another intriguing piece by the Sydney Morning Herald’s John Garnaut, “China’s princelings break their silence”.
- China’s foreign currency reserves swell to a record high of $3.201 trillion. Taiwan holds another $400 billion and Hong Kong $277 billion.
- The Sunday Times in the UK says China has made a “secret commitment” to prop up the eurozone in return for budget reforms and public sector cuts.
- Yet another young Tibetan man burns himself in eighth self-immolation protest.
- First signs of a trade war? PM Wen Jiabao has promised struggling Chinese exporters a “stable” exchange rate.
- Vietnam is under pressure from China to cancel an oil deal with India.
- China finishes top of the table at the world gymnastics championships in Tokyo.
- The Philippines says it is unfazed by Taiwan’s plan to deploy missiles in the Spratlys.
- China’s 240 million yuan food aid for Africa, destined for places like Djibouti and Ethiopia, will be completely delivered by the end of this month.