Yueyue, the toddler that sparked an outpouring of sympathy across China and the world this week, passed away this morning at 12:32am. The incredibly sad news was announced by a briefing at the hospital at 8:30am this morning. Yueyue was treated for seven days and nights in intensive care, but despite the best medical treatment available, she simply could not survive her injuries.
The hospital states that although they used the best-available resources from military and civilian experts, her injuries were simply too severe. The major cause of death was brain failure, which caused her major organs to shut down. The hospital “deeply regrets the loss, but thanks everyone for their concern and attention.”
Our thoughts are with Yueyue’s family as they deal with their loss. Outcry over the shocking display of heartless apathy in the double hit-and-run last week will undoubtedly continue as news of Yueyue’s death reverberates throughout China.
We’ll leave you with this, from an editorial published in ifeng:
This little angel belongs in paradise not in a cold world, right now she will be happy and blessed. She came to this world, let us remember her name, Wang Yue. All the best.
Yueyue won’t be forgotten. Write your RIP messages here.
UPDATE: Yueyue’s parents engage lawyer to sue drivers.
Previously on Shanghaiist
1. Watch: Toddler run over by two vehicles, ignored by all but one trash collector
2. Foshan toddler passes away [UPDATE: Toddler still alive]
3. Foshan toddler Yueyue still under intensive care
4. Meet: Chen Xianmei, the trash collector who came to the rescue of Foshan toddler Yueyue
5. Adam Minter: Chen Xianmei’s a “scrap peddler” not “trash collector”
6. Will a belief in God make more Good Samaritans out of us?
7. Chen Xianmei commended while murmurs abound she’s out to get famous
8. Chen Xianmei overwhelmed by donations and media attention, flees Foshan
9. Yueyue’s parents: We’re not on Sina Weibo!
10. Donations for Yueyue now at RMB270,000 and counting