By Angela Ye
It might suck to be away from home on this fine Thanksgiving day (blue skies in Shanghai!), but don’t you worry, because Rocksgiving’s got you covered! Make sure you come out tonight to see 7 fantastic bands and get a little tipsy for charity! Proceeds from the evening will go to BEAN and the Concordia Welfare & Education Fund’s migrant school meal programs.
And check out the superb line-up they have:
- Boys Climbing Ropes is a post-goth punk band from Ottawa, Canada. In the past couple years they’ve gained a huge following and a lot of recognition in Shanghai, and the group’s just released a new collaborative project with X is Y! Miss them at your own peril.
- Rainbow Danger Club are a Retro Rock Indie outfit headed by our good friend Nichols the mathematician. They’ve been compared to Arcade Fire and The Decemberists, and snagged Song of the Year at last year’s Shanghai Grammys.
- Next Year’s Love play a mean retro synth-pop punk. Their experiential style will definitely give the night’s lineup an extra kick.
- British rock group Girls Like Mystery is also hitting the stage, with an intense rock style influenced by popular bands Interpol and Jimmy Eat World.
- Freelance DJ and columnist writer DJ B.O. is also spinnin’ tunes, reprising his duty as Keeper of the Party Flame, after holding things down during Sumo on the Suzhou. He’s done all the best clubs in Shanghai, and tonight he’ll be at Rocksgiving!
Scary Magic and The Horde are also making appearances, so don’t miss out on this great party. Last year, Rocksgiving raised over 17,000RMB for migrant children meal programs. Let’s see if we can beat that this year!
50RMB // TONIGHT, 8pm // Yuyintang // 851 Kaixuan Lu (凯旋路851号，近延安西路)