By Cal Widdall
A family of five died from gas poisoning in the Fengxian district of Shanghai last night. They were found dead at approximately 10.30 after neighbours alerted authorities to the smell of gas in the area.
Shanghai Daily reports that the leak was caused by an illegally moved pipe:
The gas company found the gas pipe had been illegally moved by the family in order to use a gas heater that filled the rooms with carbon monoxide, a Shanghai Public Security Bureau spokesman said today.
A family member surnamed Li bred tropical fish for a living. To keep the rooms warm, he refitted the pipe to supply gas to the heater.
Unfortunately, this is the second incident of it’s kind in Shanghai this week. A separate gas leak was found to have caused the death of an elderly couple in Zhabei district late on Friday night.