Pro-democracy activist Qin Yongmin, who was freed from prison in November 2010 after serving a 12-year term for subversion, was recently taken in by state security over his plans to launch a “peaceful transition” website. His story as told to Radio Free Asia:
“A policeman called Wang Hui said I had been posting articles overseas and giving interviews to journalists, and that this was against Article 82 of the national security law, and that they were going to punish me for that,” Qin said in an interview on Monday.
He said state security police officers had arrived later and ordered him to abandon plans for a website he had been preparing to launch.
“I had been planning to launch the ‘Peaceful Transition Advice’ website hosted overseas,” Qin said. “They told me that I absolutely could not do this.”
“They said that if I launched it in the morning, they would arrest me in the afternoon, and that they would pursue the harshest kind of punishment for me,” he said.
Police also questioned him about a meeting he held on Feb. 14 at a restaurant in Wuhan with two political activists from the Pan-Blue Alliance, a member of the writers’ group Independent Chinese PEN, and a number of petitioners, Qin said.
“They told me that meeting was the reason that they were very alarmed,” Qin said.
“We were on the second floor of the restaurant, and the police took over the entire third floor,” he said. “They told me that no matter where I went or whom I met with, they would know all about it.”