This time at Hiphop Hijack at Zeal, it’s DJ ND of Belgium. ND has won the Benelux DMC Championship, and also placed 4th in the DMC World Championship in 2009. On top of that, he’s also worked with artists like Nas, Rihanna, Kelis, Trey Songz and DJ Qbert. We picked ND’s brain on what it’s like to share the stage with hip-hop heavyweights, the secret to becoming an international jet-setting DJ, and whether he prefers long walks on the beach or picnics in the park.
1. You’ve performed with artists like Rihanna, Trey Songz, Nas, and Kelis. What’s the experience of working with them like?
It’s always a great experience to work with big names. It’s an accomplishment and a source of motivation to work harder and reach new goals. I’ve been impressed by how everything is professional & timed. It influenced my own way of working.
2. You’ve won the DMC Championship more than once. What do you think you brought to the table that other DJ’s didn’t, in order to win?
Being skillful is not enough to win a battle. Like in every competition, you need to have the will to win. You have to know the qualities of your close opponents, believe in your chances and never give up. Luck is also very important of course.
3. What do you think separates the sort of DJ who gets to travel the world playing gigs, and the sort of DJ who never leaves their home country?
Today, artists are brands. Like every brand, to be successful and export yourself you have to offer something that others don’t offer. You also have to find originals ways to promote yourself using the new technologies offered by Internet (viral marketing, etc). You can be the best dj in the world, but without marketing and promotion, nobody will knock at your door to offer you a world tour.
4. What music is playing during:
a. The best gig ever
Hip hop and dubstep.
b. An interrogation session, where someone is being tortured with an awful song stuck on repeat.
Skrillex – Ruffneck.
c. The climax in the movie about your life.
Soundtrack of “Speed” (the movie).
d. Your funeral.
Queen – Show Must Go On.
5. You’re at the pearly gates and St. Peter isn’t sure about whether or not to let you into Heaven, since Heaven, like any popular club, has a pretty strict door policy. St. Peter asks you to choose a song or two, to show him you have good taste, and therefore deserve to be in Heaven. What do you choose?
I’ll tell him to let me in because even “God i s a DJ” (Faithless)… Ahah 🙂 Maybe, Young Buck – Let Me In…
I’ll tell him it’s impossible to choose just 2-3 songs when you’re a real music lover. If St. Peter’s one, he’ll probably agree and let me in …with my turntables and my serato bag.
6. Musicians make their music for an audience. Describe what sort of person is your ideal listener.
I like open minded people who are not stuck in one genre.
7. Would you rather have:
a. Kanye or Jay-Z?
b. Belgian Waffles or Belgian Fries?
We have wonderful typical belgian sauces, so let’s go for fries.
c. Whiskey or Vodka?
I’m not a big drinker but I prefer vodka.
d. Long walks on the beach or picnics in the park?
Long walks on the beach.
8. What can clubgoers expect from a DJ ND gig at Hiphop Hijack?
A powerful set with a big intro, some live remixes, backspins, scratch sessions, interaction with the crowd, goodies, champagne showers, people screaming, smiles on the faces…A real show !
Tickets are 100RMB, but 50RMB tickets (including one free drink) will be available if you book with Shanghaiist. Send your full name (no cell phone number needed this time!) to [email protected] to be be put on the guest list, with entry granted after paying at the reception. Deadline for registering is 5pm on Friday!
Hiphop Hijack presents DJ ND // Friday, March 9th // Zeal // South Bund 22, 6F, 22 Zhongshan Dong Er Lu near Xin Yongan Lu (中山东二路22号6楼，近新永安路)
Below is a video featuring DJ ND changing his t-shirt at speeds too quick for the human eye to register.
Previously: Interview: DJ Mystykal Kut, this Friday at Hiphop Hijack
Special thanks to Maurits Elen!