Photo by Ria Molde on Instagram.
A few links to start off your day:
- Tania Branigan of The Guardian has a nice report on the new legislation on police powers of detention without a clause that would have legalised disappearances.
- Ironically, Melissa Chan of Al-Jazeera was blocked from interviewing human rights lawyer Pu Zhiqiang to ask him what he thought about the new law.
- Bo Xilai’s absence at the ongoing National People’s Congress creates a stir. What could this mean?
- China downplays impact of Tibetan self-immolations.
- China makes love call to Hollywood with money, more open rules.
- UK: Russia and China are paying ‘a diplomatic price’ in Arab world over stance on Syria.
- Prostate cancer affects 17% of American males but only 2% of rural Chinese men. Scientists want to find out why.
- US-Philippine drills near disputed South China Sea area.