As part of his world tour Afrojack is coming to Asia and where better to spin than in the dynamic and energetic buzz of Shanghai? Both Afrojack and Shanghai are taking over more rapidly than ever on the international scene, making for a perfect duet if you ask us.
Accompanying him in his heavy suitcase is a grammy for mixing Madonna’s Revolver together with David Guetta, a number one hit in the US, and tons of mixes for trendsetters such as Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Chris Brown. Though at a height of 207cm the Dutch DJ doesn’t seem to have the slightest problem carying all this weight.
We asked him about his success, what music he listens to when he makes love and whether he prefers the creation process of his music to playing it.
1. It must be pretty cool to play in the DJ booth for thousands of people, but we understand it can also be quite lonely there and not to be in the crowd among everyone else. What’s the biggest difference for you between playing and spectating at a concert?
That’s a huge difference of course. When I’m just visiting a concert I enjoy other people’s performance, and can relax and chat with friends, when I play myself I’m more focused on the crowd and on how I use my music to get a certain reaction and there is of course more pressure. Both are great.
2. What was the most memorable party you have ever been to and what is the most memorable party you ever played at?
That is very hard to say. I think I would have to say my last birthday party. I rented a really nice house on Ibiza and invited a very large group of friends and family members to stay with me for a couple of days. I brought everybody with me to Pacha, Ibiza, where I performed at David Guetta’s FMIF night and we had a very nice time. Even my grandmother was there!
3. They say learning from your mistakes is crucial to success. Are there any mistakes or failures you can think of that taught you a great deal?
I made more mistakes than I can remember. I am learning every day. The biggest lesson I have learned is perhaps that it is very important to stay as humble and friendly as possible when you are confronted with success in life
4. Even though you have huge success, you still live in the small city where you grew up. It seems that you’re staying true to where you came from. If you ever did want to live in a big city for a long time, which one would it be?
Possibly Los Angeles. Because of the fantastic possibilities over there for recording music with great talent. I love travelling and I have seen some of the world’s nicest cities, but I always love coming home to my hometown, Spijkenisse.
5. What music is playing during:
a. A long weekend in bed with the girl of your dreams?
Can’t hear music then LOL
b. The night after you break up with her?
Hard club music
c. The climax in the movie about your life?
If Hans Zimmer would be the composer of the soundtrack, that would be awesome.
d. Your funeral?
6. They say if it aint Dutch it aint much, are there any Dutch DJs or artists you would love to make a recording with in the future?
I am making music with Dutch artists all the time, my latest single, Can’t Stop Me, for example, I made with my friends of Shermanology!
7. What are your sources of inspiration when you’re in the studio making new songs?
In short: movies and classical music
8. Would you rather have:
a. A library full of Vinyl records or hundreds of gigabytes of MP3’s?
I don’t have recordplayers anymore, so I’d have to say the MP3’s
b. ‘Take Over Control’ or ‘Give Me Everything’?
Take Over Control
c. Playing music or making music?
That’s too hard to answer, I love them both so much.
d. Playing safe or taking risks?
9. We’ve heard that you’re over 2 meters tall, so we’re sure you’ll stand out in the Asian party crowd. What can clubgoers expect when they come and see you the 31st of March in Shanghai?
I will try and bring the best music and I hope the people want to party with me as much as I look forward to partying with them, so together we can create a legendary experience in Shanghai!
Afrojack is making his SH debut this Saturday the 31st in G+.
Xintiandi, South Block, 5/F, Lane 123 Xingye Lu, near Madang Lu (新天地南里广场5楼, 兴业路123弄, 近马当路 )
Interview by Maurits Elen