NYU Shanghai Chancellor Yu Lizhong, NYU President John Sexton, and NYU Shanghai Vice Chancellor Jeffrey Lehman at a press conference yesterday
By Bridget O’Donnell
Starting in 2013, New York University in Shanghai (NYU Shanghai) will begin enrolling students on its Lujiazui campus.
According to Xinhua, it will be the first university jointly operated between China and the United States.
The university plans to enroll about 300 undergraduates for its first year, with 51 percent coming from mainland China and the other 49 percent coming from overseas. Students will be accepted based on a combination of their performance on China’s national entrance exam and an NYU-style screening process.
According to a report in today’s Shanghai Daily, all classes will be taught in English. This means students will need to provide and English-language proficiency certificate when applying.
NYU has 10 other satellite campuses around the globe, including one in Abu Dhabi, and future students will be able to spend one to three semesters on their campus of choice.
The university said yesterday that about 200 NYU teachers and 100 international scholars, including Nobel Prize laureates, expressed interest in teaching at the Shanghai campus.
Yu Lizhong, president of the Shanghai-based East China Normal University (ECNU), will be NYU Shanghai’s first president. Jeffery Lehman, a former president of Cornell University and current director of the Peking University Law School, will be deputy president and CEO.
Construction on the Lujiazui campus in Pudong began in 2011 and is expected to be completed by 2014.