A high school in Yueqing, Zhejiang province has issued new rules banning a bunch of interactions between boys and girls including walking together to prevent boy-girl relationships from happening in the school.
The Yucai Highschool has told students that having a relationship would “destroy your education, ruin others, hurt your emotions, cause rebellion, make you tired, waste your wealth, lead to depression, give you nothing good, and bring pains to those who love you and joy to those who hate you.”
Chinese schools and parents typically frown upon boy-girl relationships, or what’s known in Chinese “early love”, believing that such relationships wouldl hurt the academic performance of students and bring down their results in the crucial college entrance examination.
Yucai’s new regulations regard the following activities as indicators of “early love” and will impose punishment on students and warn their parents if students are observed engaged in the following:
– Providing money and other material seductions to the opposite gender.
– Sending expensive gifts to the opposite gender.
– Chatting alone in lonely places like corners, tree-shades, flower beds or other places where few people are seen.
– Walking together with the opposite gender on the playground or corridors.
– Holding the opposite gender’s hands, hugging, kissing and other intimate physical interactions.
– Love notes and letters, sent via SMS or QQ.
– Going to the opposite gender’s dormitory. Punishment for doing so at the weekend is doubled.
Unpenitent students would be expelled from the school, warned the new regulations, although the school authority has not yet taken such a drastic action.
In explaining the rationale behind the new rules, the president of the high school said the school identified over 20 couples and decided to take action to curb the rising phenomenon of boy-girl relations within the school.
The regulations were jointly drafted by the school authority and the parents’ committee, he added.
As for the most controversial article which bans boys and girls walking together, the president said this was originally not in the draft version, but he later learnt from students that when boys and girls are doing so, their chance to have a relationship is high.
Despite the controversy surrounding the new rules, the school decided to implement the regulation anyway, saying it had full support from parents.