Photo by @aboo10.
A few links to start off your day:
- Dalai Lama wins Templeton Prize, says China suffers from ‘moral crisis’.
- Rebiya Kadeer, leader of the World Uighur Congress, accuses China of ‘systematic assimilation’ in a conference currently being held in Tokyo.
- British fashion label Paul Smith is planning a Shanghai megastore.
- Shanghai to build 45 office buildings in 5 years — yup, it’s exactly what the city needs.
- Hong Kong grocery retailer PARKnSHOP closes down its last two stores in Shanghai but denies it is exiting the market.
- In Hong Kong, the Walter Kwok graft case comes back into the spotlight.
- China’s obsession with stability can come at the cost of laws, writes Michael Wines of the New York Times.
- More money now in China, but not more happiness.
- Taiwan’s Minister of Economic Affairs Shih Yen-shiang says Taiwan should speed up the progress of talks with major trade partners because of a proposed free-trade bloc linking China, Japan and South Korea.