Rice fields in Yunnan. Photo by Joe Olsson.
A few links to start off your day:
- Protestors egg portraits of Ma Ying-jeou as he was sworn in for his second term as president of Taiwan. Read the full transcript of his inaugural address here.
- Trapped coal miner rescued alive after 17 days, says he survived by eating straw bags.
- Sotheby’s CEO William Ruprecht counting on Chinese buyers to drive sales.
- Tunnel blast kills 20 at a highway construction site in Hunan province.
- 30 state-owned enterprises to invest 350 billion yuan in Chongqing.
- Jackie Chan to retire as action star.
- Earlier suggestions that Chinese security chief Zhou Yongkang had lost his position may have missed the mark because he appears to still be in charge, reports Edward Wong of the New York Times.
- Two young men arrested in last month’s killing of two Chinese students from University of Southern California.
- Maria Sharapova beats Li Na to retain Italian Open title.
- Tibet government-in-exile officials suspect Chinese plot against Dalai Lama.