The Hurun Report’s recently released 2nd annual Shanghai Wealth Report has a few eye-popping statistics:
– Pudong is the richest postcode in Shanghai, followed by Changning District, which is also the richest postcode in Puxi.
– Shanghai today has 370,000 dollar millionaires, 140,000 individuals with RMB 10m up 6.1% and 8,200 individuals with RMB 100m, up 5.1%.
– Pig Feed King Liu Yongxingand Street Fashion King Zhou Changjian are the richest individuals living in Shanghai with personal fortunes of RMB 41bn and RMB 32bn respectively.
– Property Tycoon Ye Lipeiis the richest Shanghainese, followed by art collecting husband and wife Liu Yiqian and Wang Wei with personal wealth of RMB 17bn and 11bn respectively.
– Property Developer Xu Jiankangis the most generous philanthropist living in Shanghai, donating RMNB 30.1m last year. Shi Jianxiang is the most generous Shanghainese, donating RMB 25.3m last year.
– Shanghai today has 250 individuals with RMB 2bn (equivalent to US$320m), of which 82 are on the Hurun Rich List 2011. Shanghai has 90 dollar billionaires, of which 28 are ranked on the Hurun Rich List 2011.
– Property, manufacturing and investments are the top three sources of wealth for the Shanghai billionaires.
– Shanghai is attractive for women entrepreneurs with 23% of the richest 82 being female compared with only 15.5% of the Hurun Rich List 2011.
– Shanghai attracts entrepreneurs from other provinces. Of the richest 82, 59 are from other provinces, mostly Zhejiang.
– Many overseas Chinese have made Shanghai their preferred base, led by Taiwanese Tsai Eng-meng, Indonesian Chinese Elijah Widjaja and Vincent Loh of Hong Kong.
– The most successful Shanghainese outside Shanghai live in Hong Kong and Beijing.
Metersbonwe, Home Innand Ctrip are the three most valuable private homegrown brands headquartered in Shanghai.
– Shanghai’s youngest self-made Renminbi billionaire is 32-year old basketball player Yao Ming.
Read the rest of the report and find out who the top 10 richest mainland Chinese in Shanghai are here.