In China, the sex worker industry encompasses all economic levels. It’s a bit complex to figure out which hotels and karoke bars are for high-end clients to which ones are for every day citizens.
There are several levels where people pay for sex in most first to second tier Chinese cities:1. super high end brothel (10,000RMB and up)
2. the mayor’s brothel ( based off of conversations I estimate it to be around several thousand RMB)
3. the policeman’s brothel ( based off of conversations I estimate it to be around 200-1000RMB)
4. the business person’s (200-1000RMB)
5. the citizen’s brothels (5-100RMB)
6. street walkers who charge aound 20-50RMB – client pays for hotel
When the police do sweeps and arrest sex workers, only those who work in what I call the “citizen’s brothels” get arrested. Street walkers can be easily arrested anytime and they are the most vulnerable because most of the time they don’t work with the protection of an overseer.