Photo by Denny Brechner.
A few links to start off your day:
- Gu Kailai’s trial opens this morning. Defending her is a state-appointed financial lawyer and not her family lawyer.
- Insiders say President Hu Jintao is trying to get Hu Chunhua, party boss of the northern region of Inner Mongolia, promoted into the Politburo Standing Committee.
- A 26-year-old woman killed herself through self-immolation at the Tso Monastery in Gansu province.
- Is China falling out of love with ping pong?
- China to export high-speed train parts to Europe.
- China launches trading platform for rare earth metals.
- Without Yao Ming at the London games, China basketball has work to do.