Photo by brianch82.
A few links to start off your day:
- China is to become a world technological power by 2049, the Party has decreed.
- Riots appear to have broken out at Foxconn’s Taiyuan plant yesterday evening.
- Panda cub dies at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington six days after officials trumpeted its birth. The zoo director has described its death as ‘devastating’.
- Security minister Zhou Yongkang first senior Chinese official to visit Afghanistan in 50 years.
- China cancels ceremony to mark 40 years of ties with Japan over islands dispute.
- Leniency likely to be shown to ex-Chongqing police chief Wang Lijun.
- China’s ambassador to Canada Zhang Junsai on a charm offensive, appealing to the public to look favourably on Chinese investment in the oil patch.
- China’s sovereign wealth fund is seeking a stake in Australia’s largest dairying operation, the Van Diemen’s Land Company.
- China’s corruption crackdown takes shine off luxury boom.
- China will not ease restrictions on property market.