Photo by Joe Olsson.
A few links to start off your day:
- Signs of the times? Baosteel, China’s largest steelmaker, has shut down a mill in Shanghai.
- Artist Ai Weiwei says he won’t be paying $1.1 million of his $2.4 million fine demanded by Beijing tax authorities.
- China woes put brake on luxury car sales.
- Asia’s budget airline industry is booming, but Chinese travellers have been left out of the action.
- US president Barack Obama says he has no interest in provoking a trade war with China.
- Chinese icebreaker “Snow Dragon” docked yesterday in Shanghai after becoming the first Chinese vessel to cross the Arctic Ocean.
- Auto expert Michael Dunne says Japanese car makers may be hurting from lost sales in the wake of the anti-Japan protests, but it’s the Chinese who’ll be hurting at the end of the day.
- Former Aussie PM Kevin Rudd says he sees more economic reforms coming to China with the new leadership.
- Taobao making a big push to shed notoriety in the US.