Photo by Gabriel Jorby.
A few links to start off your day:
- Did you know? The sign for ‘Chinese person’ in British Sign Language was to do slanty eyes, but that has now changed.
- NBA star LeBron James makes ninth trip to China.
- IMF cuts China, India, and emerging Asia growth forecasts.
- Chinese officials are trying to get Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo to go into exile by pressuring his wife Liu Xia, who is under house arrest herself, reports BBC’s Damian Grammaticas citing a source close to the couple.
- The Christian Science Monitor on China-bashing in the US presidential race.
- Meanwhile, bashing Huawei appears to be the one thing Washington agrees on.
- Plane flying from Urumqi to Beijing forced to land in Lanzhou after receiving anonymous threat.
- Beijing air quality to be better monitored.
- Political parties in Australia are fighting over whose great idea it was to upgrade diplomatic ties with China. Hah.
- Retail and catering sales surge over 8-day national day holidays.