TechWeb, in cooperation with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology Bureau, has issued a white paper on the top 100 internet and telecommunications businesses as ordered by revenue. The Chinese tech industry posted a huge profit of 11.8 billion RMB in 2011.
Top 10 via Tech in Asia:
- Tencent (HKG:0700) makes China’s biggest social network and is also top in social gaming. Plus, it makes WeChat, the world’s biggest messaging app. Oh, and it does e-commerce. And lots more.
- Netease (NASDAQ:NTES) must’ve had a good year to make it so high up the list – but then this list is about revenues, not a company’s market cap. Netease is primarily a web portal, but it also does online gaming (it runs World of Warcraft in the country), and also the Evernote-esque, Youdao Yunbiji service.
- Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) is the nation’s top search engine by a big margin, and also has a major ad platform and some social services too.
- Sohu (NASDAQ:SOHU) is another web portal, and is pushing its streaming video site pretty hard these days. It also runs the Sogou search engine which is sneaking up on Google’s market share.
- Shanda (NASDAQ:SNDA; FRA:RZP) here means Shanda Interactive, which makes the Kindle-like Bambook e-reader, and has lots of web services like an e-bookstore, cloud storage, and more. Its gaming subsidiary is separate.
- Alibaba is China’s biggest e-commerce company in every sector, running Tmall, Taobao, and Alibaba.com.
- Perfect World (NASDAQ:PWRD) is China’s fourth-biggest social gaming platform.
- Giant Interactive (NYSE:GA) is a tad smaller than perfect World in terms of gaming revenue, coming in sixth in that respect in the country. It runs games like Allods Online in the country.
- Besttone (SHA:600640) is a telecoms firm, and the only one in the top 10 that we’ve never looked at before.
- Sina (NASDAQ:SINA) is talked about a lot these days – and on this site – as it runs Sina Weibo, China’s hippest Twitter-like service. But Weibo is proving costly to run and hard to monetize – hence having China’s hottest social media site doesn’t equate to stellar revenue.