By Ma Huaqing
On October 17, Li Na, who was driving the double-decker bus service No. 117 in Jinan, Shandong Province, detected a pungent odour which smelt worrying like a gas leak. To ensure the safety of passengers, she stopped the bus and checked the entire vehicle for any sign of a leak. Li eventually decided the smell must be coming from nearby trash bags blown into the bus by the wind, but long after she’d driven away from the bags, the pungent smell remained.
Li stopped the bus a second time. Li asked all the passengers to disembark while she checked the vehicle, but again was unable to find the source of the smell and so told the passengers to get back on. Just as she boarded the bus from the rear door, she detected the pungent smell again, much stronger this time.
Li finally discovered the cause of the smell, a girl occupying the seat under the staircase, eating a durian with her earphones in, totally unaware of the panic her stinky snack had caused.
Jinan City Transportation Bureau has announced proposals that passengers should be banned from eating anything while aboard public transport. Durian is already banned on most public transport in Singapore and Japan.
Join Shanghaiist for the Hairy Crab & Sex Museum Tour on Nov 3-4! Click below image to find out more: