Reporters gather in Guiyang for the trial of the century… which isn’t taking place (h/t: @MissXQ).
It looks like Ta Kung Pao, the Beijing-backed Hong Kong newspaper which reported on Friday that Bo Xilai would go to trial on Monday, was just trolling the rest of the Chinese media, as their (apparently) spurious report caused late nights for journalists across the country as they sought to independently confirm the news and prepare reports about Bo’s impending doom.
“It is fake information,” a court official told reporters outside the People’s Intermediate Court building in Guiyang, the capital of Guizhou province.
“It is definitely not happening today,” said the official, who did not give her name.
Reuters reporters are deservedly somewhat smug about calling bullshit on the report right from the beginning:
On Sunday, Reuters reporters in Guiyang said they could see no signs of heightened security so far, either around the main courthouse or in any other part of the city.
While one would not want to disparage the Chinese justice system by suggesting that the result of Bo’s trial is predetermined, there’s a good chance that
when if he is convicted that he will face the death penalty.