By Michael Evans
A Shenyang woman was admitted to the hospital after drinking a cup of detergent she had mistakenly believed to be Coca-Cola, the Want China Times reported Monday.
The woman’s boyfriend, surnamed Liu, had picked up a Coca-Cola cup from the counter at a local McDonalds after ordering his meal on January 16. His girlfriend drank from the cup (apparently unable to taste the difference between Coke and detergent) and went to the hospital complaining of stomach pain.
When his girlfriend subsequently became ill after consuming the beverage, Liu went back to the restaurant to ask questions. A counter clerk admitted putting the cup on the counter but did not offer a further explanation. Liu took his girlfriend to hospital, where a doctor determined the woman had erosive gastritis and sought to know what she had drunk from the restaurant.
The McDonalds outlet has apologized for the incident and offered to pay compensation, though the exact amount has not yet been finalized. Liu has demanded that the restaurant take responsibility for any future health effects resulting from the mix-up.