Thames House, London headquarters of MI5. Image credit: Fred Dawson.
Sharp-eyed Redditors spotted that the United Kingdom Security Service, commonly known as MI5, has posted example language proficiency tests online for its ‘Mandarin Intelligence Analyst’ roles.
Candidates must be able to read and understand the following block of text, and then answer a number of questions about it:
1. Which two groups of people were interviewed in the 2006 survey, and from the text which questions do you think they were asked?
2. What was the second favourite dish of young people surveyed in 2006?
3. 60% of which age group surveyed in 2006 had visited a Chinese restaurant in the past three months, and what were their favourite dishes?
4. What prediction did the food critic make about the development of Chinese cuisine in the UK?
5. What has been the effect of the increased popularity of Chinese cuisine on Chinese style supermarkets in the UK, and traditional style British supermarkets?
Click here for the answers. How did you do?