By Yining Su
Image credit: @peoplezchronicles.
A student in Shanghai has died in hospital of organ failure after allegedly being poisoned by his roommate, according to Xinhua.
Huang Yang, 28, a third-year medical student at Fudan University, died on April 16 at Zhongshan Hospital.
Huang fell ill on April 1, after drinking water in his dorm. Police discovered N-Nitrosodimethylamine, a highly toxic chemical, in the dorm’s water dispenser. The chemical is usually used to induce liver disease in rats for cancer experiments.
A spokesperson for Fudan said it was not possible for the chemical to have been taken from university laboratories as it was “strictly regulated”.
N-Nitrosodimethylamine is available online, however.
Huang’s roommate, a graduate student surnamed Lin, has been taken into police custody.
According to People’s Daily, Huang, originally from Sichuan, apparently did not immediately go to hospital after drinking the poisoned water, and even performed a surgery at a hospital where he was an intern. He only checked into Zhongshan Hospital after his abdominal pains worsened.
After he was admitted to hospital, he fell into a coma and was diagnosed with liver failure.
Netizens speculated that Huang was killed by someone jealous of his grades or a girlfriend, but Huang’s father has denied that Huang was in a romantic relationship and said that his son got along well with classmates and friends.
The case has reignited discussion online over the poisoning of Tsinghua student Zhu Ling, who died in 1995 and whose killer was never brought to justice. Zhu Ling is suspected to have been poisoned over the course of several months, starting in 1994.
The case received a great deal of attention online years later, after Zhu’s friends asked for help solving the case. In 2006, police that they had investigated, but never charged, Zhu’s roommate, a relative of Sun Fuling, then a vice-chair of the CPPCC.