Family members at the bedside of one of the girls. Image via South China Morning Post
This has become Shanghaiist’s unofficial week of “don’t eat or drink anything in China,” and now it’s getting malicious. A nursery school principal in Hebei was arrested earlier this week after it was revealed that she injected rat poison into the yoghurt of two students at a competing school, in a completely psychopathic attempt to hurt the school’s reputation. Two kindergarden girls were killed after drinking the yoghurt.
The Guardian reports:
Officers said the main suspect, Shi Haixia, 39, admitted injecting the bottle [of yoghurt] with tetramine [rat poison] and asking Yang Wenming, 51, to leave it on the street near her competitor’s business, along with school supplies.
She feared that the other school was enrolling more students, in Lianghe village in Pingshan county, in the northern province of Hebei, officers told the Global Times.
The bag was spotted by the victims’ grandmother, Ren Shuting, who took it home. The five- and six-year-old girls began foaming at the mouth and convulsing after drinking the yoghurt. One died on her way to hospital; the other died on Wednesday, after a week of treatment. Ren, who also took a sip of the liquid, was admitted to hospital.
Shi and Yang have been arrested and will presumably meet the fate deserving of money-hungry child killers. Also, suffice it to say, the plan to make her school look stellar by comparison didn’t exactly pan out.