Construction of a subway line in Guangzhou sparked outrage on Saturday after archaeologists found that the work has destroyed five ancient tombs, China Daily reports.
Workers for the Guangzhou Metro destroyed the historical site last Friday night. The area, near Da Gong mountain, had been marked with warning signs and red lines by archaeologists working at the site.
The tombs range from 2,200 to more than 3,000 years old, according to the SCMP.
“The area they dug up was sealed by red lines. They even specifically moved our archaeological tools aside before blazing in,” Miao Hui, an archaeology technician responsible for the destroyed site, told the SCMP.
However, Guangzhou Metro said they received permission from the city archaeological institute for the project last month and that this destruction was a result of a miscommunication.
Netizens were sceptical, “Removing [the tombs] by mistake twice, whether you believe it or not, I don’t believe it!”
Archaeologists also noted that 10 tombs in total have been destroyed by the metro expansion so far.
[Image credit: Baidu / Via Huaxia]