Apple has vowed to “fully investigate” reports that a Xinjiang woman was killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5, SCMP reports.
A spokesperson for the California-based company said: “We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the … family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”
Ma Ailun, a 23 year old China Southern Airlines flight attendant, was allegedly electrocuted when she picked up her iPhone to answer a call while it was charging.
Ma’s brother, Yuelun, said in an interview with Apple Daily that the family believe she was killed by an electric shock while using the phone. He said the iPhone in question and its accessories had been handed over to Xinjiang police for investigation.
Online, microblogging site Weibo was flooded with posts urging fellow users not to make calls while charging their phones.
Experts in Hong Kong warned against using any electrical device while it is being charged.
Johnny Sin Kin-on, a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, said: “There is a risk using an electrical device while its installed battery is being charged, be it a shaver or a phone.”