A 30 year old Beijing man is in a coma following an electric shock, the second incident involving a charging iPhone in a week.
According to Xinhua, Wu Jiantong collapsed at around 10pm on Monday after connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger. He’d had the phone for two years.
“He shouted ‘electric shock’ and then fell to the floor,” Wu’s sister told reporters. She said she felt a slight shock herself when she tried to unplug the charger.
Doctors were able to resuscitate the man, who’s heart had stopped, but he is currently in a coma and may have suffered brain damage.
Wu’s sister blamed the charger, which was not an official Apple product.
Ma Ailun, a 23 year old Xinjiang woman, was electrocuted when she picked up her charging iPhone to answer a call. Water and a shoddy, third-party charger were blamed for causing the fatal electric shock.
Responding to Ma’s death, a spokesperson for Apple vowed to “fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter.”
[Image credit: Beijing Evening News]