A 20-year-old tourist from northeastern China was hospitalized after eating chuanr lamb skewers that were laced with rat poison. The man went out for a night of lamb-kabobs and drinks with his girlfriend and parents, and soon found himself hospitalized with “bruises the size of a sheet of paper.”
The South China Morning Post reports:
Beijing hospital No 307, which is affiliated with the Academy of Military Medical Sciences of the People’s Liberation Army, found traces of bromadiolone [rat poison] in a blood sample of a 20-year-old tourist from northeastern China. […]
The poisoning case comes two months after the nation’s Ministry of Public Security released its findings of counterfeit-meat sales throughout China.
The inquiries showed that rat, fox and mink meat had been sold as lamb at Shanghai hotpot restaurants and that duck meat was used for Inner Mongolian beef jerky.
The poison was caught in time, and the man should soon return to full health.
Here at Shanghaiist, we were all over this year’s meat scandals; whether hotpot rat, YUM rat, or lunch rat. Skewer-rat, consider yourself added to the archive.