A man’s after-dinner gaming session on a Samsung Galaxy S4 nearly killed him and his wife after the phone’s battery erupted in flames, reports ITHome. Both managed to escape the apartment without serious injuries, but their home (above) was thoroughly destroyed.
RocketNews24 translated the story and reports:
[Du’s] wife, Yujiu, was in the other room washing the dishes, when she heard a loud noise like an explosion. Turning around, she saw that Du’s phone had burst into flames.
Crying out, Du flung the phone away, but, due to on of the worst cases of bad luck we’ve ever heard of, the phone ended up landing directly under the sofa. As you may expect, the sofa, too, caught fire, and the flames soon spread to the curtains and then the rest of the apartment. [sic]
Acting quickly, Du and Yujiu promptly ran upstairs to warn the people living above them. Firefighters soon arrived and put out the blaze, but not before their entire apartment was destroyed.