More than 40 villagers in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia have fallen ill due a chlorine leak. JSChina reports that 26 of the villagers were treated at the local hospital and at least one is in critical condition, after a local resident, surnamed Fan, had improperly (and illegally) stored two containers of the toxic substance in his backyard.
Villagers reported dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms after the two chlorine tanks began to leak. Fan allegedly obtained the two containers of chlorine some time ago from a shuttered paper mill. As to why he wanted the chlorine in the first place… who knows. Apparently, Fan opened two of the containers using a wrench, releasing the toxic fumes. It is unclear if the leak was intentional or an accident. At any rate, Fan himself was unharmed and didn’t bother to report the leak as the poison spread through the air.
Police are investigating whether Fan intended to poison his neighbours, or if he’s just an idiot.
[Image credit: @njsouthall]