A 24-year-old man attacked a group of children on a bus in Henan on Monday, killing three, and was captured on Tuesday while eating watermelon in a public market, wearing the same blood-soaked clothes from the day before. The stabbing spree was apparently set off by a family dispute, and resulted in the deaths of two boys, aged 10 and 17, as well as a 10-month-old girl.
The South China Morning Post reports:
The Beijing Times quoted passengers on the bus as saying the attacker boarded the bus smelling strongly of alcohol around 3pm. Minutes later, he forced the driver to crash into an oncoming truck. The vehicles swiped against each other and were only lightly damaged.
In the confusion, however, the man began attacking passengers with a knife. The driver was stabbed in the arm during a fight, witnesses said.
Li Fenliang, a passenger who suffered stab wounds to the back, told the China News Service that he saw no one on the bus fight back as people cowered together at the sides of the vehicle. Many of them had been napping when the attack began.
The suspect escaped into a roadside cornfield. Police offered a 100,000 yuan (HK$125,750) reward for his capture. […]
He was seized around noon yesterday as he ate watermelon in a market in Xincun township, 17 kilometres from where the attack occurred
Five others are still hospitalized in critical condition after the rampage.