A Taiwanese sustainable architecture firm built the new Nike concept store completely out of trash. The Nike X158 Hyper Nature store on Xinle Lu was built using 5,500 aluminium cans, 2,000 PET water bottles and 50,000 old CDs and DVDs.
Here are some facts about this incredible 100% recyclable building.
1) No glue was used. The trash was mechanically assembled meaning that all the parts can be re-recycled separately.
2) The roof is made out of 50,000 old CDs and DVDs, held together with Rice Husk SiO2 which is a natural organic mechanical strengthening additive.
3) They made 2000 yards of tension cable out of consumer recycled water bottles.
4) They made 1000 connection joints out of 5278 aluminium cans.
5) The flexible structure was achieved through the natural curvature of the building and a tension cable system.
6) The RiceFOLD roof panels made out of CDs and DVDs comes with inherent light diffusing properties, thus reducing the store’s overall carbon footprint over time.
Find the store at 158 Xinle Lu, near Xiangyang Bei Lu 新乐路158号, 近襄阳北路