Yesterday’s most horrifying story is back, with more details. The 6-year-old Shanxi boy whose eyes were gouged out by an unidentified kidnapper was apparently abducted by a woman, despite previous reports that the assailant was male. There is also speculation that the attack may have been an act of organ trafficking, but for now, there are many conflicting reports and little is known for sure.
In an early CCTV report, it was claimed that the boy’s corneas were missing, which would indicate that they were stolen for trafficking. Later reports, however, revised these statements, as News.com.au reports:
Earlier Chinese media reports said the corneas were missing when the boy’s eyes were found, leading to speculation that the attacker was an organ trafficker.
But police said on Wednesday the corneas had been found attached to the eyeballs and ruled out organ sales as a motive, although they were unable to provide an alternative explanation for the attack.
“We are still working on it so we cannot offer any comment or make any assumption on the motives,” the Fenxi officer said.
Police offered a 100,000 yuan ($17,918) reward for information leading to the arrest of the sole suspect, who they said was a woman. Reports said she drugged the boy before gouging out his eyeballs. […]
“He asks why the sky is always dark … and why the dawn still hasn’t come,” it [The Beijing Youth Daily] quoted an uncle of the boy as saying.
Doctors say that they boy has been blinded for life. We will post updates as this story develops.
[Video via International Business Times]