Chinese restaurant hygiene violations have become so big in China, it was only a matter of time before they went on a world tour. First stop: UK, where the aptly-named “Real China” restaurant in Leicester was fined 120,000RMB for multiple health code breaches, Leicester Mercury reports:
The Real China, a buffet-style eatery in Highcross, admitted 12 charges at Leicester Magistrates’ Court yesterday, after environmental health officers found dirty, greasy equipment, fridge seals that did not close properly and food being stored at the wrong temperature.
Prosecutor Nicki Agalamanyi told the court inspectors from Leicester City Council visited the restaurant for a routine inspection on October 16 last year.
She said heated food to be served to the public buffet-style had to be kept at a minimum of 63 deg C.
Ms Agalamanyi said fried chicken on offer at the restaurant was being stored at 52 deg C and shredded pork at 59 deg C. She said: “When an officer asked the chef to show her the food temperature probes she was given two probes.
“The probes were very dirty and, when this was brought to the chef’s attention, he was seen to pick food debris from the probes with his fingers.”
……”Upon arrival, the officer slipped as the floor was very slippery underfoot,” she said.
She said food served buffet-style had to be cooled to 8 deg C before it could be refrigerated to be served at another time. However, inspectors found beef joints in the fridge at 22 deg C.
The company was fined £1,000 for each of the 12 offenses.
Still, this is mere child’s play compared to health violations in certain restaurants in China where rat poses as lamb and the ice is less fit to consume than toilet bowl skid. If the UK health inspectors fined these restaurants based on the same guidelines, the amount of money could solve China’s housing bubble.