A suspect has been arrested in connection to the arson attack against the Chinese consulate in San Francisco on January 1 that left the building partially destroyed, Chinese-language newspaper China Press reports.
According to SCMP:
The paper quoted Yuan Nansheng, China’s Counsul General in San Fransisco, who revealed the latest development to a group of reporters on Friday evening. Yuan said the consulate had been told of the arrest by the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, the security and law enforcement arm of the US Department of State.
So far, the suspect’s identity has not been revealed.
The US expressed that it was ‘deeply concerned‘ about the incident, and that the act was deliberate but would not be investigated as a terrorist attack.
Video surveillance from the scene of the crime showed a figure getting out of a van with two buckets of petrol, pouring it on to the entranceway and setting it on fire.
“We strongly condemn this despicable act,” consulate spokesman Wang Chuan said. “We urge the U.S. side to take all necessary measures to provide adequate protection for Chinese consular personnel and properties, and bring the culprits to justice as soon as possible.”