The 16-year-old from Gansu province named Yang who attracted nationwide attention when he became the first person arrested under the government’s 500-reposts policy for ‘rumor mongering’ has been refused requests for compensation.
The student at Zhangjiachuan middle school was arrested on September 21 after he had posted several times about the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in Gansu province two days prior. His posts, which were considered “inaccurate” by the government, led to him being detained for “rumor mongering”.
He was released a few days later thanks to the withdrawal of his criminal case, but was swiftly expelled from his school. Afterward, Yang filed a claim with the county’s public security bureau for an apology and compensation, according to SCMP.
You Feizhu, the boy’s lawyer, said on Sina Weibo on Thursday that Yang’s father had asked him to bring the case to court after receiving the replies from the city and county police bureaus last week.
You Feizhu said the case deserves reconsideration because Yang Hui did not make up any false facts in his posts, and the posts were not commented on or shared prior to his detention and hence did not cause public disorder. Therefore, the police’s decision to hold him for a seven-day administrative detention was wrong, the lawyer said.
“It was the police’s fault, instead of the boy’s, when the number of comments and sharing soared after his detention was reported on the media,” said the lawyer.