Hong Kong’s food and health authority announced that it will cull some 20,000 birds after confirming a case of H7N9 bird flu at a local wholesale market in Cheung Sha Wan on Monday. The government yesterday also announced that the sale of live poultry would be banned for three weeks.
China Daily Reports:
The secretary said Hong Kong government has informed the mainland’s authorities and required mainland’s inspection and quarantine agencies to investigate the source of the exported poultry that was found carrying the virus.
Monitoring of the mainland chicken farms will continue after the three weeks of suspension of live poultry trading, and live fowl export to Hong Kong would not be resumed unless both the mainland and Hong Kong agree on the investigation results, the secretary told a press conference, adding that it had been the first case of H7N9 bird flu confirmed in imported live poultry in Hong Kong since the epidemic broke out on the mainland last March.
Authorities in eastern China have also banned live poultry sales after seeing an influx of H7N9 cases infecting residents, according to local media reports.
So far the virus has killed 19 people in China and infected 96 others, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has said.
Shanghai has already reported 8 cases of H7N9 infections this year, resulting in two bird flu-related deaths. Starting on January 31, the city will likewise suspend live poultry sales until April 30.
[Image via Xinhua]