Shanghaiist is seeking interns with a keen interest in journalism, new media and blogging at its Events and Entertainment desk. They must possess excellent people skills, great phone etiquette and a talent for producing crisp, concise copy. Applicants are expected to possess a wide variety of interests as Shanghaiist covers a wide spectrum of events in the city involving arts, sports, music, food and parties.
Of course, potential candidates must live in Shanghai, as they will be expected to attend and cover events in the city on a regular basis.
• Experience in event reporting
• Experience in writing and maintaining a blog
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn the workings of the Movable Type blog software
• Familiarity with or willingness to learn basic HTML
• Familiarity with or willingness to operate Adobe Photoshop, or some other picture editing software
• Good aesthetic sense
• An excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
• Extremely detail oriented, organized, able to work under deadlines
• Proficiency in Mandarin, though not required, will be a plus
• Access to/ability to use a camera
• Fact-checking and research on the internet
• Updating and maintaining the Shanghaiist events calendar
• Pitching of new story ideas
• Conducting of interviews
• Representing Shanghaiist at parties, events and launches
• Posting daily events on the website
This is a full-time paid internship which may lead to a full-time position. Interested candidates should send an email to [email protected] with “Events Intern” in the subject line.