Who’d ever imagine you’d have to take salt with a grain of salt? Guangzhou officials recently confiscated 26 tons of inedible industrial salt that was sold for human consumption. The Nanfang Insider reports:
Nanfang Metropolis Daily reported that about 26 tons of fake salt, mainly industrial salt, was uncovered in Guangzhou in the first half of the month, according to figures released by the provincial salt industry group on March 15, China’s consumer day.
Industrial salt, which contains excessive levels of metals, are not safe for human consumption. Some industrial salt that contains sodium nitrite can sometimes result in deaths. The confiscated salt has been circulated in Baiyun, Huadu, Zengcheng and other overlaying regions between city and countryside, the report said. The salt was smuggled from central Jiangxi Province, and stocked in several warehouses in places such as Baiyun before being distributed in Guangzhou.
An executive from the provincial salt group said 96% of the 650,000 tons of salt consumed annually in the city was safe. But still, you don’t want to be the one buying the remaining 4%, if the numbers are reliable.
This is yet another shining example why China’s food industry is the “salt/sodium nitrite of the earth.”
The industrial salt packages (top) allegedly have folds around the edges while the table salt ones (bottom) do not.