Two children died and several more were hospitalized after reportedly eating rat poison at a kindergarten in Yunnan province, just a week after a kindergarten in Shaanxi province was closed down for administering antiviral drugs that were sickening students.
According to China Daily, one student at the Jiajia Kindergarten in Qiubei county was found unconscious on the ground around 3:20 p.m. on Wedneday as six other students became sick and started vomiting.
The seven children were quickly rushed to a nearby hospital to receive treatment along with 76 other students from the school. By Wednesday night, four-year-old Yang Yizi and five-year-old Zhou Yulin had succumbed to their illnesses.
Following examinations, 32 other children were hospitalized, and as of yesterday morning, three of them were still ill from suspected food poisoning.
Zhao Minjian, director of the Qiubei Department of Publicity, said that the kindergarten was unlicensed and the education bureau said that inspections would be conducted on all kindergarten, primary, middle and high schools to prevent the situation from happening again.
In December of last year, police detained a 34-year-old woman in Hunan province after she’d allegedly injected rat poison into yogurt containers and distributed them to children outside of a primary school.